HB2 bans abortions after 20 weeks, requires that abortions be done in ambulatory surgical centers (resulting in more health & safety regulations), and requires that abortion doctors have admitting privileges to a hospital within 30 miles of the clinic. If you are truly pro-women, you would support this bill. This bill will help to greatly improve the quality of care that women receive at clinics. It will help to insure that nothing goes wrong by providing better accessibility to life-saving treatment, if needed. Right now we have doctors like Gosnell and Karpen, and facilities like theirs, where nail salons abide by more regulations than their clinics. But once this bill takes effect, only five clinics will be left in Texas because the rest don't meet the requirements and regulations. Oh no, abortion might actually become SAFE[er], legal, and RARE! Isn't that what abortion supporters want??
I went to Austin with some friends on Monday for a pro-life rally. We went to hear some awesome speakers and show our support for the bill and for LIFE. Abortion supporters also gathered and protested through the streets. At one point, we went to go stand near them to observe and pray, and you could so strongly feel the spiritual darkness and evil presence. It was like nothing I've ever felt before. Some were more peaceful than others, though. Caroline and I had a great conversation with a woman named Janet. She was actually kind and civil, and willing to talk with us unlike many others there. It was a very difficult conversation, though, because 1) she told us she was there not to protest the bill because of the abortion debate, but because she thought it was a matter of the separation of Church and State, and 2) she told us she was raised a Southern Baptist, but she actually had many post-modern beliefs. It's extremely hard to debate a person who doesn't believe in moral absolutes, but believes that truth is relative. Anytime we tried to discuss the issue of the separation of Church and State, she would bring the conversation back to abortion. When we discussed the abortion issue, she would take it to the separation issue. It was an endless cycle! But it was a good 20-30 minute conversation, and a lot of good points were brought up. We did what we could - we planted a seed. We are still praying for Janet.
I am just absolutely shocked at all that went on these last couple of weeks in Texas...how someone can be so barbaric and uncivilized, all to advocate your right to kill your baby. The things that were done and said by abortion supporters this week are just jaw-dropping. But it's not just last week in Texas - it is everywhere right now. We as a nation have come so far away from God. We can only pray for people's eyes to be opened and for the truth to be revealed to them by Christ.
Some photos from Monday:





Oh my goodness Katherine! I was there and I totally missed y'all! I'm so glad you posted this...powerful times in Texas. :) Kinda like Shreveport condensed.... :D
ReplyDeleteReally?! I so wish I could've seen you there!! Yes, it was very similar to the Shreveport experience... and by talking with the lady, I saw someone first-hand who had post-modernish beliefs, which was definitely a first for me. It was such a good experience to go and see the reality of both sides of the issue.
DeleteMiss you!!